Dr. Suzannie Leung graduated from the City University of Hong Kong with a Bachelor of Arts (Hons) degree in Creative Media. She further obtained a Postgraduate Diploma in Early Childhood Education from The University of Hong Kong (Distinction), a Postgraduate Diploma in Psychology and a Master of Education degree in Educational Psychology from The Chinese University of Hong Kong (Dean's List). She finished her PhD at The University of Hong Kong and her doctoral thesis focused on visual arts education in Hong Kong kindergartens. She is a registered kindergarten teacher and a qualified kindergarten principal. With over ten years of educational experience in a variety of settings, she has engaged in kindergarten teacher education, curriculum development, programme design for gifted children and curatorial work of early childhood art exhibitions. She served as a lecturer in the Early Childhood Education and Elementary Division of Hong Kong Baptist University, and an assistant professor in the School of Education and Languages, The Open University of Hong Kong.
Early childhood curriculum and pedagogy, early visual arts, creativity in early childhood, teacher education and development
- Leung, S. K. Y.* & Li, H. (Submitted). Teachers’ belief-and-practice gap in implementing early visual arts curriculum in Hong Kong. Journal of Curriculum Studies.
- Hoshmand, A. R. & Leung, S. K. Y.* (Submitted). A general education curriculum revamp in a Hong Kong university: An integrative approach. Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education.
- Leung, S. K. Y., Wan, S. W. Y. (Accepted). Using drawing methods in studying teacher leadership: A systematic review. Journal of Educational Administration and History.
- Leung, S. K. Y.*, Wan, S. W. Y., Orchard, J. & Davids, N. (Accepted). Consolidating pre-service teachers’ metacognition of online dialogue through visual methods: A Hong Kong case study. Journal of Education for Teaching.
- Leung, S. K. Y. (Accepted). Project superhero: Liberating children’s play through socially-engaged art. InSEA The Magazine of Education Through Art.
- Leung, S. K. Y.*, & Hoshmand, A. R. (Accepted). The imperative of arts in general education: Does art enhance quality learning? Journal of General Education.
- Leung, S. K. Y. (2019). Socially engaged arts: Luke Ching’s practices for Hong Kong. The International Journal of Social, Political and Community Agendas in the Arts. DOI: 10.18848/2326-9960/CGP/v14i04/25-35
- Leung, S. K. Y.*, Choi, W. Y. & Yuen, M. (2019). Video art as digital play for young children. British Journal of Educational Technology. DOI: 10.1111/bjet.12877
- Cheung, S. K., Fong, R. W., Leung, S. K. Y., & Ling, E. K. (2019). The roles of Hong Kong pre-service early childhood teachers' creativity and zest in their self-efficacy in creating child-centered learning environments. Early Education and Development. DOI: 10.1080/10409289.2019.1586224
- Leung, S. K. Y. (2019). Translanguaging through visual arts in early childhood: A case study in a Hong Kong kindergarten. Asia-Pacific Journal of Research in Early Childhood Education, 13(1), 47-67.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Wan, S. W. Y. & Leung, S. K. Y. (April, 2020). A phenomenographic study of prospective teachers’ conceptions of curriculum leadership. The American Educational Research Association (AERA) 2020 held from 17 to 21 April 2020 in San Francisco, California, the United States.
- Leung, S. K. Y., & Wan, S. W. Y. (July, 2019). A systematic review of applying drawing methods in studying teacher leadership. The European Conference on Education 2019 held from 19 to 21 July 2019 in University College London, UK.
- Leung, S. K. Y., Choi, W. Y. & Yuen, M. (April, 2019). Digital play for young children in gifted education. Paper presentation at 2019 International Research Association for Talent Development and Excellence held from 12 to 16 April 2019 in Taipei, Taiwan.
- Leung, S. K. Y. (November, 2018). Nurturing children’s creativity through visual arts: Creative dialogues in the early years. Symposium titled “The challenge of promoting creativity in the Chinese early childhood context”, presented at the Taiwan Education Research Association- Global Association of Chinese Creativity 2018 held from 8 to 11 November 2018 in Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
Funded Research Projects
- Principal Investigator, Investigating kindergarten teachers’ content knowledge and pedagogical content knowledge of visual arts education in Hong Kong (Collaborators: Dr. Kimburley Choi, CityU; Dr. Alfredo Bautista, EdUHK), Early Career Scheme 2019-20, Research Grants Council, Oct 2019 – Mar 2022, HK$ 661,984
- Principal Investigator, Validation of Chinese teachers’ beliefs scale on early visual arts education (Co-investigator: Dr. Joseph Wu, CityU), Direct Grant for Research 2018-19, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Mar 2019 – Aug 2020, HK$ 32,516.4
Professional Community Services
- Honorary Advisor, Hong Kong Kowloon and N.T. Kindergarten Education Advancement Association (2019 – Present)
- Specialist of the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic & Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) in the areas of Education and Arts, Design and Performing Arts (October 2018 – 31 December 2021)
- Accreditation Panel Member, Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (2018 – Present)
- Council Member, Education Governance Council, The Salvation Army Hong Kong and Macau Command (2018 – Present)
- Reviewer for Cogent Education (Taylor & Francis Group) (2019 – Present)
- Co-editor, Nurturing Talents APFG Newsletter, Asia-Pacific Federation on Giftedness (2018, 2019)