Dr. Suzannie Leung graduated from the City University of Hong Kong with a Bachelor of Arts (Hons) degree in Creative Media. She further obtained a Postgraduate Diploma in Early Childhood Education from The University of Hong Kong (Distinction), a Postgraduate Diploma in Psychology and a Master of Education degree in Educational Psychology from The Chinese University of Hong Kong (Dean's List). She finished her PhD at The University of Hong Kong and her doctoral thesis focused on visual arts education in Hong Kong kindergartens. She is a registered kindergarten teacher and a qualified kindergarten principal. With over ten years of educational experience in a variety of settings, she has engaged in kindergarten teacher education, curriculum development, programme design for gifted children and curatorial work of early childhood art exhibitions. She served as a lecturer in the Early Childhood Education and Elementary Division of Hong Kong Baptist University, and an assistant professor in the School of Education and Languages, The Open University of Hong Kong.
Early childhood curriculum and pedagogy, early visual arts, creativity in early childhood, teacher education and development
- Leung, S. K. Y., Choi, W. Y. & Yuen, M. (Accepted). Video art as digital play for young children. British Journal of Educational Technology.
- Leung, S. K. Y. (Accepted). Project superhero: Liberating children’s play through socially-engaged art. InSEA The Magazine of Education Through Art.
- Leung, S. K. Y. (Accepted). Socially engaged arts: Luke Ching’s practices for Hong Kong. The International Journal of Social, Political and Community Agendas in the Arts.
- Leung, S. K. Y., & Hoshmand, A. R. (Accepted). The imperative of arts in general education: Does art enhance quality learning? Journal of General Education.
- Cheung, S. K., Fong, R. W., Leung, S. K. Y., & Ling, E. K. (2019). The roles of Hong Kong pre-service early childhood teachers' creativity and zest in their self-efficacy in creating child-centered learning environments. Early Education and Development. DOI: 10.1080/10409289.2019.1586224
- Leung, S. K. Y. (2019). Translanguaging through visual arts in early childhood: A case study in a Hong Kong kindergarten. Asia-Pacific Journal of Research in Early Childhood Education, 13(1), 47-67.
- Leung, S. K. Y. (2018). An exploratory study of early visual arts education in two Hong Kong kindergartens. Journal of Research in Childhood Education. DOI: 10.1080/02568543.2018.1498414
- Leung, S. K. Y. (2018). No more crafts: When student teachers bring visual arts into Hong Kong kindergartens. World Organisation for Early Childhood Education (OMEP) Journal: Theory into Practice, 1, 17-19.
- Leung, S. K. Y. (2017). The magic of inquiry and hermit crabs: Empowering holistic development in Hong Kong. Young Children, 72(4), 64-70.
- Cheung, S. K., Ling, E. K., & Leung, S. K. Y. (2017). Beliefs associated with support for child-centered learning environment among Hong Kong pre-service early childhood teachers. Journal of Education for Teaching, 43(2), 232-244. DOI: 10.1080/02607476.2017.1286785
- Leung, S. K. Y., & Chen, E. E. (2016). An examination and evaluation of post-millennial early childhood education policies in Taiwan. In H. Li, & E. Park (Eds.), Early Childhood Education Policies in Asia Pacific: Advances in Theory and Practice (pp. 245-262), Springer.
- Leung, S. K. Y. (2014). Evaluating the free early childhood education policies in Taiwan with the 3A2S framework. International Journal of Chinese Education, 3, 268-289.
- Leung, S. K. Y. (2014). How does photography express children’s voice? Every Child, 20(4), 16-17.
- Leung, S. K. Y. (2013). How do creative teachers facilitate children’s creativity in visual arts? A case study about the visual arts teacher training and teaching. Hong Kong Journal of Early Childhood, 12(2), 76-86.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Leung, S. K. Y., & Wan, S. W. Y. (July, 2019). A Systematic Review of Applying Drawing Methods in Studying Teacher Leadership. The European Conference on Education 2019 held from 19 to 21 July 2019 in University College London, UK.
- Leung, S. K. Y., Choi, W. Y. & Yuen, M. (April, 2019). Digital play for young children in gifted education. Paper presentation at 2019 International Research Association for Talent Development and Excellence held from 12 to 16 April 2019 in Taipei, Taiwan.
- Leung, S. K. Y. (November, 2018). Nurturing children’s creativity through visual arts: Creative dialogues in the early years. Symposium titled “The challenge of promoting creativity in the Chinese early childhood context”, presented at the Taiwan Education Research Association- Global Association of Chinese Creativity 2018 held from 8 to 11 November 2018 in Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
- Leung, S. K. Y. (June, 2018). Dilemmas between creativity and skills: Visual arts teaching in early childhood. Virtual presentation at The 13th International Conference on the Arts in Society from 27 to 29 June 2018 in Vancouver, Canada.
- Leung, S. K. Y. (August, 2014). Nurturing kindergarten teachers’ creativity through visual arts training programme. Paper presented at the 15th Annual Conference of the Pacific Early Childhood Education Research Association held from 8 to 10 August 2014 in Bali, Indonesia.
- Leung, S. K. Y., & Li, H. (July, 2014). They believe it but can't do it: A multiple case study of early visual arts education in Hong Kong kindergartens. Paper presented at the 66th World Conference of World Organization for Early Childhood Education held from 2 to 5 July 2014 in Cork, Ireland.
- Leung, S. K. Y. (July, 2013). How does drawing reflect preschool teachers' creative intelligence? The relationship between visual arts training and creativity. Symposium titled “Early Childhood Education in Hong Kong: A Broad Perspective”, presented at the 65th World Conference of World Organization for Early Childhood Education held from 11 to 13 July 2013 in Shanghai, China.
Funded Research Projects
- Principal Investigator, Investigating kindergarten teachers’ content knowledge and pedagogical content knowledge of visual arts education in Hong Kong (Collaborators: Dr. Kimburley Choi, CityU; Dr. Alfredo Bautista, EdUHK), Early Career Scheme 2019-20, Research Grants Council, Oct 2019 – Mar 2022, HK$ 661,984
- Principal Investigator, Validation of Chinese teachers’ beliefs scale on early visual arts education (Co-investigator: Dr. Joseph Wu, CityU), Direct Grant for Research 2018-19, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Mar 2019 – Aug 2020, HK$ 32,516.4
Professional Community Services
- Honorary Advisor, Hong Kong Kowloon and N.T. Kindergarten Education Advancement Association (2019 – Present)
- Specialist of the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic & Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) in the areas of Education and Arts, Design and Performing Arts (October 2018 – 31 December 2021)
- Accreditation Panel Member, Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (2018 – Present)
- Council Member, Education Governance Council, The Salvation Army Hong Kong and Macau Command (2018 – Present)
- Reviewer for Cogent Education (Taylor & Francis Group) (2019 – Present)
- Co-editor, Nurturing Talents APFG Newsletter, Asia-Pacific Federation on Giftedness (2018, 2019)