Other Refereed Journal Publications
Overseas International Conference Presentations
Some Funded Research
• Cao, Y. W., & Kit-Tai Hau. (1999). Sex differential item functioning of a Chinese vocabulary test. Psychological Testing, 46(1), 119-128.
• Marsh, H. W., Kong, C. K., & Hau, K. T. (2000). Longitudinal multilevel modeling of the Big Fish Little Pond Effect on academic self-concept: Counterbalancing social comparison and reflected glory effects in Hong Kong high schools. J ournal of Personality and Social Psychology, 78, 337-349.
• Marsh, H. W., Hau, K. T., & Kong, C. K. (2000). Late immersion and language of instruction (English vs. Chinese) in Hong Kong high schools: Achievement growth in language and nonlanguage Subjects. Harvard Educational Review, 70, 302-346.
• Hau, K. T. (2000). Book Review: Structural Equation Modeling with LISREL, PRELIS, and SIMPLIS: Basic concepts, applications, and programming. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal ( USA , Lawrence Erlbaum Associates), 7, 640-643.
• Marsh, H. W., Hau, K. T., & Kong, C. K. (2001). Late immersion and language of instruction (English vs. Chinese) in Hong Kong high schools: Achievement growth in language and nonlanguage subjects. In: Beck, S. W., & Olah, L. N. (Eds.), Perspectives on langauge and literacy: Beyond the here and now (pp.247-287) . Cambridge , MA : Harvard Educational Review.
• Marsh, H. W., Kong, C. K., & Hau, K. T. (2001). Extension of the internal/external frame of reference model of self-concept formation: Importance of native and nonnative languages for Chinese students. Journal of Educational Psychology, 93 (3), 543-553.
• Chang, L., Hau, K. T., Ho, W. K., Wen, J. B., & Wang Y. (2001). Putonghua Text: Flexibility of tape-recorded marking, reliability and economic efficiency. Acta Psychologica Sinica, 33 (2), 97-103.
• Hau, K. T., & Chang, H. H. (2001). Item selection in computerized adaptive testing: Should more discriminating items be used first. Journal of Educational Measurement, 38 (3), 249-266.
• Leung, C.K., Chang, H.H., & Hau, K.T. (2001). Making a-Stratified Computerized Adaptive Testing Design More Practical: Imposing Non-statistical Constraints. Global Chinese Journal (Electronic) for Computers in Education, http://www.fed.cuhk.edu.hk/GCJCE/
• Wen, Z., Marsh, H. W., & Hau, K. T. (2002). Interactional effects in growth modeling: A full model. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 9 , 20-39. ( USA , Lawrence Erlbaum Associates).
• Cheng, Z. J., & Hau, K. T. (2002) Do those believe intelligence to be unchangeable also think personality is nonmalleable? Universality of implicit theories across personal attributes. Acta Psychologica Sinica, 34(1), 81-88.
• Marsh, H. W., Hau, K-T, & Kong, C-K, ( 2002 ). Multilevel Modeling of Longitudinal Growth and Change: Substantive Effects or Regression Toward the Mean Artifacts? Multivariate Behavioral Research , 37, 245-282.
• Marsh, H. W., Kong, C. K., & Hau, K. T. (2002). Multilevel Causal Ordering of Academic Self-concept and Achievement: Influence of Language of Instruction (English vs. Chinese) For Hong Kong Students. American Educational Research Journal, 39 , 727-763.
• Leung, C. K., Chang, H. H., & Hau, K. T. (2002). Item selection in computerized adaptive testing: Improving the a-stratified design with the Sympson-Hetter Algorithm. Applied Psychological Measurement, 26 , 376-392.
• Cheng, Z. J., & Hau, K. T. (2003). Are intelligence and personality changeable? Generality of Chinese students' beliefs across various personal attributes and age groups. Personality and Individual Differences , 34, 731-748.
• Leung, C. K., Chang, H. H., & Hau, K. T. (2003). Incorporation of content balancing requirements in stratification designs for computerized adaptive testing. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 63 , 257-270.
• Marsh, H. W., & Hau, K. T. (2003). Big-fish-little-pond effect on academic self-concept: A cross-cultural (26 country) test of the negative effects of academically selective schools. American Psychologist, 58 , 364-376.
• Kong, C. K., Hau, K. T., Marsh, H. W. (2003). Cross-cultural validation of self-concept measures and theoretical models in the Chinese context. F. Salili & R. Hoosain (Eds.), Teaching, learning, and motivation in a multicultural context (pp.117-145). Greenwich , CT : Information Age Publishing. .
• Wen, Z., & Hau, K. T. (2003). Regression toward the mean in psychological testing and the reoccurrence probability of extreme scores. Acta Psychological Sinica , 35, 419-425.
• Hau, K. T., Kong, C. K., & Marsh, H. W. (2003). Chinese self-description questionnaire: Cross-cultural validation and extension of theoretical self-concept models. In H. Marsh, R. Craven, & D. M. McInerney (Eds), International advances in self research (Volume 1) (pp.49-65). Greenwich , CT : Information Age Publishing.
• Ho, I.T. & Hau, K.T. (2004). Australian and Chinese teacher efficacy: Similarities and differences in personal instruction, discipline, guidance efficacy and beliefs in external determinants. Teaching and Teacher Education, 20, 313-323
• Marsh, H. W., Hau, K. T., & Wen, Z. L. (2004) In search of golden rules: Comment on hypothesis testing approaches to setting cutoff values for fit indexes and dangers in overgeneralising Hu & Bentler (1999) findings. Structural Equation Modeling ( Lawrence Erlbaum Associates), 11, 320-341..
• Marsh, H. W. & Hau, K. T. (2004) Explaining Paradoxical Relations Between Academic Self-concepts and Achievements: Cross-cultural Generalizability of the Internal-External Frame of Reference Predictions Across 26 Countries. Journal of Educational Psychology, 96, 56-67.
• Marsh, H. W., Hau, K. T., & Craven, R. (2004). The big-fish-little-pond effect stands up scrutiny. American Psychologist, 59, 269-271.
• Marsh, H. W., Wen, Z. L., & Hau, K. T. (in press). Structural Equation Models of Latent Interaction and Quadratic Effects In G. Hancock & Mueller (Eds)., A second course in Structural Equation Modeling. Greenwich , CT : Information Age Publishing.
• Marsh, H. W., Wen, Z. L., & Hau, K. T. (in press). Structural equation models of latent interactions: Evaluation of alternative estimation strategies and indicator construction. Psychological Methods
• Marsh, H. W., Hau, K. T., & Grayson, D. (in press). Goodness of fit. In A.Maydeu-Olivares & J. McArdle (Eds.), Psychometrics. Festchrift to Roderick P. McDonald. Erlbaum.
• Hau, K. T. & Marsh, H. W. (in press). The use of item parcels in structural equation modeling: Nonnormal data and small sample sizes. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology.
• Marsh, H. W., Martin, A. J., & Hau, K. T. (in press). A Multiple Method Perspective on Self-concept Research in Educational Psychology: A Construct Validity Approach . In M. Eid (Ed.), Handbook of psychological measurement . American Psychological Association.
• Hau, K. T., Sung, R. Y. T., Yu, C. W., & Lau, P. W. C. (in press). Factorial structure and comparison between obese and non-obese children's physical self-concept. In H. Marsh & R. Craven (Eds.), Advances in self-research (Volume 2) . Greenwich , CT : Information Age Publishing.