Teaching Practicum (TP) is an integral part of the teacher training programmes. It provides opportunities for students to put theory into classroom practice. In order to support students’ professional development, practicum supervision will be conducted by the Faculty’s TP supervisors during the TP periods. TP supervisors will assess students through formative and summative assessment, taking into consideration students’ teaching performance as well as their professional behaviour and attitude.
Immersion Programme aims to enhance students’ professional development and their competence in using English / Putonghua through studying in native English/Putonghua-speaking communities.
The Intended Learning Outcomes of TP are that students will:
Pre-Teaching Practicum Activities
School visit is the first step for undergraduate student teachers to experience the school life. Through visiting different schools, all teachers-to-be begin participating in school activities, understanding the roles of teachers, and observing classroom teaching and curriculum design of their major subjects.
School Experience is also one of the prerequisite activities of TP of all undergraduate programmes. Students will participate in a three-day School Experience to experience the school life, improve teaching skills, and develop professional attitudes.
As one of the important prerequisite activities of TP of undergraduate programmes, the School Attachment held in local schools allows the students to observe and participate in various school activities from a teacher’s perspective, gain school experience and learn from experienced teachers.
The following are the specific objectives of the Immersion Programme*:
– To enhance students’ competence in using English / Putonghua as a means of communication;
– To allow students to gain first-hand experiences as well as knowledge of cultures and life styles in countries / regions where English / Putonghua is the first language;
– To expand students’ ability to teach English as a foreign language or Putonghua;
– To expand students’ exposure to educational practices in places other than Hong Kong; and
– To provide students the opportunity to develop global vision.
* Only applicable to student teachers of full time PGDE English Major, Bachelor of Arts (English Studies) and Bachelor of Education (English Language Education) Co-terminal Double Degree Programme Year 3 student teachers; and Bachelor of Arts (Chinese Language Studies) and Bachelor of Education (Chinese Language Education) Co-terminal Double Degree Programme Year 2 student teachers