Leung Mei Kwan (2018 Graduate)

A Wonderful Experience in The University of Edinburgh

The program allowed me to explore the culture of Edinburgh, learn English and get along with local people.  

Learning in The University of Edinburgh was much more relaxing than that in Hong Kong. Classes were conducted in small-class teaching that everyone had chances to speak English in class and teachers could give immediate responses. Teachers were energetic and made every lesson fun. They encouraged us to speak more and be involved actively in class by using English games to attract us. As a student major in education, I appreciated their teaching skills and styles in which I learnt a lot from them.

In cultural aspect, I explored the Scottish culture through participating in various social programs and visiting different scenic spots in Scotland. I joined the city tour, the trip to Highlands and the Isle of Skye, Scottish Ceilidh dancing party and some talks, and visited National Gallery.

Moreover, I had a good relationship with my host family and I really miss them. In general, my hosts are extremely nice. My host mum,Caroline, took good care of me, for examples, giving me two extra blankets and turning on the heater for me even it was in summer as she saw that I always worn a jacket. Besides, she cooked very well just like dining in a western restaurant, and made food that suits my taste. I did not expect to have hot food every day. Moreover, my host dad, Peter, drove me in the first few days so as to let me familiarize myself with the bus route. Through our communication every night, I knew more about Edinburgh and their living style. I shared with them what happened in Hong Kong in return. Overall, I stayed in a family with love and warmth. Though I felt cold all the time in Edinburgh, my heart was always warm. To me, I become more confident to speak English after this program, and more independent to handle challenges by myself.